Sunday, May 26, 2013

My fifth miscarriage

So, the title says how this will end. 

The first HCG was 36 at 15 dpo.  We all know this is a bad number.  2 days later it was 52 at 17 dpo.  And, 2 days later at 19 dpo it was 102.  3 days later at 22 dpo is was 209. 

At 6w1d, I started bleeding.  It picked up and they did another blood test at 6w3d and it was 146.  So, that's that.  I'll do another blood test next Tuesday and as long as it's down, I'll be happy. 

So, whenever I get my period next (which won't be for another 3 weeks at best) I'll start my IVF cycle with the new doc.  One thing this does seem to point to is that all these losses could be due to the premature rising progesterone.  So, possibly, the premature rise in progesterone is causing the endometrial lining to be out of sync with the embryo giving the embryo a suboptimal place to implant. 

I'm doing two things to help my chances.  First we'll do freeze all cycles with the IVF and then put the embryos back during a hormonally controlled cycle. 

Second, I've made appointments with 2 reproductive immunologists to have them run all those sorts of tests and make sure that there's no problem along those lines. 

Saturday, May 4, 2013

so, wow....

Wow.  It's been a busy week.

So, I got the new doc appointment pushed earlier to last Thursday on May 2nd.  I wanted to get in before my period in the hopes that she'd be willing to start this cycle.  Well, she was on board!  She's willing to start as soon as I get my period!  So, great news!  I spend the next few days getting all the paperwork together and all the records from my old doc.  I also saw some brown spotting and starting having cramps.  I've been down this road before and I started to get suspicious.

Sure enough the HPT was a faint positive.  Sigh.  I don't know if I should be sad, excited, angry, frustrated, terrified, all of the above?  It was a late BFP (12 dpo) and we all know that's a bad sign.  So, I took a FRER this morning at 13 dpo and it was fairly dark, so that gives me some (false?) hope.

I called up the old doc and set up a beta blood test for Monday.  I don't want to tell the new doc in case this is going to be a quick chemical.  If it is, I'll just flow right into the IVF.  I'm afraid if she knows, it'll completely delay the IVF.

So, we'll see what the blood test says Monday and I imagine they'll want to do a second test on Wednesday.  I think then we'll have a good idea on how this (my seventh pregnancy!) is going to play out.

So....  wow....